Peel Art Gallery, Museum and Archives (PAMA) invites you to visit historic downtown Brampton on Saturday, Oct. 15 for an opening reception and panel discussion for our newest exhibition, We Are Hockey, on loan from the South Asian Studies Institute.
PAMA showcases Peel’s remarkable diversity, culture, and history and is pleased to host this important exhibition. We hope that visitors will enjoy learning about hockey’s history makers.
We Are Hockey
October 15, 2022 to Spring 2023
Ice hockey is seen as a fixture of Canadian culture, yet the game has traditionally been represented by white players. We Are Hockey is centred around the experiences of people of colour who play hockey. It provides visibility to their stories and highlights the historic and persistent racial inequalities in the game.
Challenging traditional ideas about the game, this exhibition provides an opportunity to celebrate some of Canada’s unsung hockey heroes. It features the voices of players who share the challenges and racism they face as they play the game they love. While celebrating the successes of athletes the exhibition will challenge visitors to rethink who they see as the face of hockey in Canada.
Visitors to We Are Hockey will be given the opportunity to:
- Participate in activities in the exhibit like creating your own paper jersey.
- Take a selfie with a cut out of the Hockey Night in Canada Punjabi broadcasting team.
- See artifacts and hear the stories of athletes like Jujhar Khaira, Mark Fraser and George Armstrong.
- Learn about organizations pushing hockey to be more inclusive including Apna Hockey, Black Girls Hockey Club, the Professional Women’s Hockey Players Association, Hockey Equality and more!
Upcoming Events for We Are Hockey
- Opening Reception and Panel Discussion
Saturday, October 15 at 1:30 p.m.
With special guests:
- Amrit Gill, Broadcaster with Hockey Night in Canada Punjabi
- Courtney Szto, author of Changing on the Fly: Hockey through the Voices of South Asian Canadians
- Saroya Tinker, Executive Director of the Black Girls Hockey Club Canada.
RSVP by October 10 to PAMAEventRSVP@peelregion.ca
- Family Fun Activities (drop-in): Nov. 25, 10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. and Nov. 26, 1 – 4:30 p.m.