Bolton Regional Councillor Good to Know

Unattended Cooking is Leading Cause of House Fires


How often has the doorbell rung or a child interrupted you while you were cooking, causing you to forget about the food you left sizzling on the stove – until smoke filled the house?
Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires and injuries in the province. “The best way to prevent kitchen fires is to never leave cooking unattended,” says Fire Chief Terry Irwin. The Chief’s advice comes as part of Fire Prevention Week (October 6 to 12, 2013) and its theme to ‘Prevent Kitchen Fires’.
“Often when we’re called to a fire that started in the kitchen, the residents tell us that they only left the kitchen for a few minutes,” continued Chief Irwin. “Sadly, that’s all it takes for a dangerous fire to start. Help keep our community safe by taking responsibility to prevent fires from starting in the first place.”
Important steps to prevent kitchen fires include:
• Pay attention when cooking – especially if you are using oil or high temperatures. If you must leave for any reason, turn off the stove.
• Wear tight-fitting or rolled up sleeves when using the stove. Loose, dangling clothing can easily catch fire.
• Keep a proper fitting lid near the stove. If a pot catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove.
• Never attempt to move a burning pot.
• Keep a close eye on anyone in your household who is drinking and attempts to cook.

Media Contact:
Bethany Lee
Corporate Communications
905.584.2272 x.4106 | communications@caledon.ca

JSC Newsletter

Receive our stories and events directly to your inbox, twice a month.

Sign Up

About the author

Patti Foley

Having spent 25 years in Bolton, Patti remains an advocate for Caledon. As a former Regional Councillor and a long-time community volunteer she is passionate about communicating information about its issues, news, events, people, non-profits and businesses.

Leave a Comment


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.