- Check your waste collection calendar online at peelregion.ca/waste to find out your battery collection day.
- Gather your used single-use and rechargeable batteries and place them at the curb on your designated day.
- On battery collection day, place your transparent, sealed bag of batteries on top of your closed green bin. If you don’t have a green bin, place your bag of batteries beside your recycling bags.
- If you live in an apartment/condominium, check with your building property manager on how to dispose of batteries safely.
- Sealed lead acid and car batteries are not accepted at the curb.
- These and all other battery types are accepted free of charge at any Peel Community Recycling Centre (CRC) year-round, for safe disposal.
“Thanks to your efforts, we have recycled 125 tonnes of batteries since 2016 – which is huge, since a single tonne of weight is equal to 2,000 pounds!” says Garnet Barnsdale, Manager, Waste Collections for the Region of Peel. “This is bringing us steps closer to achieving our mandate of diverting 75% of Peel’s waste from landfill by 2034 and moving toward a healthier and greener community for everyone.