Good to Know

Caledon Fireworks Reminder

Big fireworks
Written by Patti Foley

With Victoria Day celebrations fast approaching, Caledon Fire and Emergency Services remind retailers and homeowners that there are responsibilities when it comes to selling, purchasing and setting off fireworks. The goal is to ensure holiday celebrations can be enjoyed safely by everyone.

Retailers can only sell fireworks during the ten (10) days prior to Victoria Day, starting May 12, 2017. All retailers must purchase a permit from Caledon Fire and Emergency Services at a cost of $179.00. Fire Prevention staff will be conducting fire safety inspections to verify compliance with the by-law and any other federal and provincial regulations.

The Town strictly prohibits setting off fireworks on public property, parkland, parks, roads or sidewalks. Fireworks can only be set off on Victoria Day (May 22) and only then on private property. Discharging fireworks on any other day is in contravention of the by-law and is subject to a fine.

Safety Guidelines
· Keep sparklers away from children. Hot sparklers can burn.

· Appoint a responsible person to be in charge.

· Carefully read and follow the directions on fireworks packaging.

· Always keep a hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.

· Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials such as buildings, trees or dry grass.

· Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.

· Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground.

· Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks.

· For dud fireworks, wait 30 minutes, soak them in a bucket of water and then dispose of them in a metal container.

· If someone is burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.

· If using wheel-type fireworks nail them securely to a post or fence and allow spinning clearance.

· Be especially vigilant with children around.

To Obtain a Permit
Permits can be obtained at Fire and Emergency Services, 6211 Old Church Rd, Caledon East.

More information
For more information about Town of Caledon Fireworks By-law #2016-102 please visit
If you have any questions please contact Caledon Fire and Emergency Services at 905.584.2272 x.4303 or by email at Visit our website at

JSC Newsletter

Receive our stories and events directly to your inbox, twice a month.

Sign Up

About the author

Patti Foley

Having spent 25 years in Bolton, Patti remains an advocate for Caledon. As a former Regional Councillor and a long-time community volunteer she is passionate about communicating information about its issues, news, events, people, non-profits and businesses.

Leave a Comment

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.