Town of Caledon Fire & Emergency Services is urging everyone to keep safety in mind as the temperatures turn colder, and to ensure that you are wearing appropriate clothing when heading outdoors – frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin.
“We often see more home fires during the winter months due to heating equipment and appliances,” said Fire Chief Bailey. “People should pay close attention to potential fire hazards such as fireplaces, furnaces, chimneys and vents, and space heaters.”
Some important reminders:
Keep chimneys and intake/exhaust vents for furnaces and heating appliances free of debris, ice and snow accumulations to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) build-up from inefficient combustion.
Burn dry, well-seasoned wood in fireplaces and woodstoves to reduce the risk of excessive creosote build-up in chimneys.
Allow ashes from your fireplace or woodstove to cool before emptying them into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid. Keep the container outside.
Keep space heaters at least one metre (3 feet) away from anything that can burn, including curtains, upholstery and clothing.
Replace worn or damaged electrical wires and connections on vehicles and extension cords and use the proper gauge extension cord for vehicle block heaters. Visit caledon.ca/fireresources for more information and safety tips.
Parks and Recreation suggest keeping active and indoors during cold temperature drops with the many programs and activities scheduled for this weekend. There are a number of swimming programs available across the various community centres and facilities in Caledon, along with the annual Winterfest Celebration on Sunday January 7, 2018. Read about Winterfest HERE
Animal Services would like to remind residents that if it’s too cold for you to stay outdoors, it’s too cold for your pets also. Please bring your pets inside during cold temperatures.